1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Tickets In Sequence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SherKev, Jul 14, 2016.

Share This Page

?

If You Have $20 To Spend On Lottery Tickets, Do You.........

1. Buy All The Same Ticket

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Buy Different Tickets

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Neither, I Buy Lottery Numbers!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SherKev

SherKev Moderator Staff Member

Earnings:
    ¢182
    How many of you guys buy scratch tickets (scratch-off's) on a regular basis? I try to buy them in bulk at least once a week. When I say bulk, I usually get $20-$25 worth of the same ticket. Some friends I know will take that $20 that they have available and buy 2-5 different types of tickets. But not me! I have to use that $$ to buy all the same ticket. Which option of the two do you think increases your chances more? and why? (I usually buy $1 or $2 tickets... rarely $5 or $10 .... and definitely no $20 tickets!)

2. Androl

Androl Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢0
    I would do the same. I would spend the money buying all the same ticket. I think the chances on each type of ticket are something like 1 in 5 so it makes sense to buy all the same tickets. This is also how I have won the most often in the past and often get a run of wins by doing so. It seems to have turned out to be quite a successful method for me personally. I think if you spread the money across various types of tickets, then that decreases your chances of winning somewhat.

SherKev likes this.
  3. Kgord

Kgord Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢30
    I don't buy bunches of scratch offs but actually if I was going to buy them I think I will change my vote, and say that I would buy the same ticket. as everyone has pointed out, the chance of winning is greater if you have a block of tickets. I think in Virginia, one of every 6 is a winner.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢5
    I would not buy the same tickets,I will try to buy the lowest denomination 3-4 tickets. I believe having 3-4 different tickets increases winning chance. I have tried buying same tickets and every time I lost.Thus, I don't consider buying same tickets.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢101
    When it comes to scratch cards, depending on the value of them, here in the UK at least you're looking at a 1/5 or 1/4 (for the more expensive ones) chance of winning. With those kind of odds I think that if your buying in bulk then you will have a better chance of winning if you do buy all the same cards rather than going for a variety.

The problem is though, just because the odds are 1/5 it isn't an exact science and just because you buy 20 tickets, doesn't mean that you are guaranteed to win 4 times, and even if you do, the prize might not be enough to cover the price of the actual scratchcard in the first place.

In other threads on the forum we've talked about the difference between winning and actually making money, and they are two entirely different things.

SherKev likes this.
  6. oportosanto

oportosanto Administrator Staff Member

Earnings:
    ¢155
    I am not a huge fan of scratch cards really, there's no excitement about it for me. My parents do love them and buy them all the time and my kids love to scratch them when they are with them.

7. petesede

petesede Site Manager

Earnings:
    ¢190
    The odds are too much against you, it just is not a good investment in my opinion. But with that said, if you are buying a state-run lottery and something really official, those guys are meticulous about fair-play. There would be no advantage by going to different locations to buy your tickets, save the gas money and buy another ticket.

8. Anastasia27

Anastasia27 Member

Earnings:
    ¢0
    There is no interest in that for me, and i can't describe why...

9. rz3300

rz3300 Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢29
    Well I am not a big scratch off guy, but I do get them as gifts for Christmas every year and I do get a little joy out of doing them. I think that the most I have won is about three dollars, and I am probably about one for fifteen or so. I am not really sure where the tradition came from, but I like it so I am not complaining. Maybe I need to use a little more of your strategy.

10. Vinaya

Vinaya Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢5
    Actually, I don't buy scratch coupons. I use scratch coupons only when I get them for free. Usually,I get scratch coupons for free during the purchase of goods. Sometimes during the promotion, some companies offer free scratch coupon with their products.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Basic Member

Earnings:
    ¢101
    When it comes to scratch cards as well, I do think that they are often looked at as more of a fun bet rather than something that people will do in order to try and make a long term profit. There's no skill to buying a card and hoping for the best, and in reality that's all your doing with a scratchcard, and while if you have a spare few dollars then the chance of winning a large amount is obviously appealing, I wouldn't have thought that many people would actually try and come up with any form of strategy when buying them and it really is just a case of pure luck more than anything else.